Thursday 29 July 2010

Jellyfish Red

I did intend to be doing some work on my thesis tonight but Microsoft decided to change Excel and Word to make pasting graphs onto a word document more annoying than an episode of The Hills. To save my sanity and laptop I decided to do a post about a beer I have brewed to simultaneously upset and delight Oz Clarke on Sunday. It is a red ale brewed with the Jellyfish Aurelia. Oz apparently hates them.

I recently watched a documentary on jellyfish on Channel Five. You know the type of documentary with only 8 facts which are strewn out over an hour with lots of overly-dramatic music, repetitive images, effects and an overexcited voiceover from the bloke who does detergent ads. After each set of adverts there is a 10 minute recap of the 2 facts introduced in the first quarter of the programme along with the same music and images. In effect knowledge has been eaten and digested by the American production company and then defecated out into your mouth in a brown sausage of children’s TV for retarded adults. How stupid do you have to be to still be interested in the subject by the end of the programme?

The Jellyfish, which isn’t actually a fish, is a ball of protein and seawater with no brain and a common hole serving as a mouth and an anus(insert Channel Five joke here). I followed the same principles as with seawater mild in this beer using the sea salts to work with the liquor salts to add roundness. The protein from the jellyfish also comes in handy to boost the free amino nitrogen in the wort and allow me to use some extra glucose to dry up the finish without risking a stuck fermentation.

The jellyfish was picked up from Polzeath beach and added to the kettle as the wort was collected to make use of the proteolytic enzymes from the mash not yet denatured by the sparge. The beer is fruity with a very moreish dry finish. Dangerously moreish for an 8.8% beer.

Tech Spec:

OG:1075

Malt: pale ale, roasted wheat, 140 crystal, roasted barley

Hops: Northern Brewer, Perle, Bobek

Yeast: Sharp’s

Spices: Jellyfish

10 comments:

BeerReviewsAndy said...

when you say the jelly was collected from the beach did you just wander along and pick it up??

you can tell you dont live up here, you'd have more than likely ended up with a durex red than a jelly fish red.

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

I hope the jelly fish died naturally and wasn’t hunted to exhaustion and then torn apart by a pack of staghounds or that you didn’t think of stuffing it and putting a bottle up its petrified anus and then serving it to Oz that. Just a thought

Tandleman said...

You are quite mad in a very engaging way. Love it though. Jelly fish beer. Who'd a thowt it?

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

I sometimes wonder if you should take up Stand Up although you are by all accounts extremly proficient at your current occupation.

Stuart Howe said...

Up until last week there were 1000s (literally) of the Aurelia washed up on the Cornish beaches so it saved me having to buy some dried stuff from Asia. The jellyfish in question led a long and priviledged life before dying in its sleep while dreaming of becoming a beer ingredient.

Anonymous said...

Good to see the blog is back. How exactly do you tell if a jellyfish is dead and that your not boiling the poor bastard alive!?

Stuart Howe said...

It's good to be back Podrick. I think after sitting in one of my lunch boxes in the boot of my motor for the afternoon he was indeed an ex-jellyfish.

Antonio Jefferson Cole said...

Hello everyone, I was infected with the herpes virus and I got cured of the herpes virus few months ago after i contacted Dr Ero. I saw a post on the internet after i have seek healing for several years from different doctors in California. I sent the Doctor a request for help, just a few email i followed his instruction and he sent me the medication after i paid him. Now i am negative and i referred him to all my friend who had this same sickness and they have gotten their cure too. You can contact him via his email. dreroherbaltreatment@gmail.com . Thank You Dr Ero and text me for further information (650) 653-8578..

Elizabeth Matheus said...

HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

Sharon Wayne said...

I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

Post a Comment