Tuesday 19 July 2011

See how your rules spoiled the game


There is a fact which is oft quoted, “On average when a customer has a good experience they tell two people. When they have a bad experience they tell ten”. This may be true, partially true, based on the truth or inaccurate. I would love to see the survey techniques, population and the statistical analysis behind it. I had a good experience on Saturday night with the best meal I have had in recent memory so I thought I’d do my bit to shift the statistical balance and tell you, the thousand or so people who view my blog each week. The meal at the Longcross Hotel, Port Isaac was solid, unfussy, flawless and satisfying. As an aperitif I had a bottle of Cuvee Saint-Gilloise which was sensationally fantastic and could have contributed a slight halo effect, as did the very well kept Sharp’s served at the bar.

I would like to pass on my commiserations to Brewdog for losing their pitch at the GBBF. There is a silver lining of course. In cancelling their booking CAMRA have managed to remind Brewdog that they do in fact hate CAMRA and everything they stand for. I wonder how such strong feelings could have been forgotten so readily? It seems now that they were only going to buy a pitch there to save drinkers from the scourge that is cask ale and beer made without American hops. The thousands of pounds saved should be some consolation and could be used to stage a radical stunt out the front of Earl’s Court involving burning effigies of middle aged people with sandals and beards or perhaps a tissue paper model of a noble hop cone. I’m sure that as people with integrity and a respect for beer and brewing they will let their boycotting of the event do the talking, I for one hope so.       

9 comments:

BeerReviewsAndy said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM Cantillion!

Will you be at trade day at GBBF?

Stuart Howe said...

I will indeed Andy although I'm due to be judging the CBOB until mid afternoon and have to be on a train out of Paddington by 6PM.

BeerReviewsAndy said...

well make sure you come and find me so I can buy you a beer!

Ed said...

Sorry can't boycott the GBBF as I've got free tickets. I'm sure Brewdog will understand though as this is purely a commerical decision.

Stuart Howe said...

Certainly will Andy, would be good to have a "boring, lightly hopped bland cask ale" with you too Ed if you're around.

Ed said...

I'll be there and so will one of my boring, lightly hopped bland cask ales.

If only I'd thought to add some passion when I was brewing. Or failing that a 1kg/hl of American hops.

MartinG said...

Uuummmm. Never tried Brewdog. I'll have to get some in and try it for myself.

Stu, what days are you present at he GBBF apart from the trade day?

Stuart Howe said...

Only the trade day I am afraid Martin, My beer and brewery don't like me being away so a day every so often is all I can afford.

MartinG said...

Shame. I can understand their concern though. Haven't you got a new brewer who can look after things while you're away wasailling?

I'm doing a stint in Coventry at the moment and I've found a rather nice little pub that does a very nicely looked after pint of Pedigree. The Landlord's getting some Doom Bar in next week especually for yours truly.

Post a Comment