Friday, 22 January 2010

Flavour Compound of the Week 4-vinyl guaiacol


Id like to apologise for being a little quiet on the blog front. I have been having a busy week having my heart ripped out and stamped on. Not pleasant but it’s a hobby I suppose.


This week I am tackling 4-ethenyl-2-methoxyphenol or 4-vinyl guaiacol. I shall call it 4-VG because I can’t be bothered to keep checking the spelling. 4-VG is known in some parts of the world as phenolic off flavour (POF) and in others as what weizenbier tastes of. 4-VG is produced from ferulic acid (derived from barley malt) using the enzyme ferulate decarboxylase. Only certain strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae (brewer’s yeast) have the capability to make this enzyme. 4-VG has a phenolic (TCP) or clove-like aroma. The clove-like aroma is characteristic of German weizenbier and some Belgian ales and is due to levels of 4-VG between 0.4 - 6 parts per million. 4-VG (POF) is also produced by wild yeast, so knackered beer from any part of the globe can taste a little like a weizen.

1 comments:

mewmewmew said...

Id like to apologise for being a little quiet on the blog front. I have been having a busy week having my heart ripped out and stamped on. Not pleasant but it’s a hobby I suppose.



colon cleanse
quantum pills

Post a Comment